Saturday 10 March 2012

Volunteer with us

It did not take me too long to notice that Cambodia is probably the "heaven" of voluntary work. Everything starting from farming and ending up with the most popular one - teaching English - is open for anyone of passing by travellers who are tired of constant moving and thirsting for some time off the road.

These voluntary work possibilities will be told about in shallow guest houses, red on Internet forums, but most important - you can actually see it yourself. I experienced this one of my first days in Takeo province while pedalling my bike trough the sleepy village. All the children on the side road were shouting to me: "Hello! What's your name?! Where you go?!"

It took just a second to show my reaction (without even saying a word) and usually it was just about enough for them to come closer and continue our one way conversation: "Can I go with you? I want to speak English".

In a few minutes I was confused with all the names of their teachers. All the Jackies and Joes. Tims and Toms. Roses and Roberts. And believe me, they would be delighted to name all of them. If you ask, even in an alphabetic order.

After the name game, they will ask you if you are a volunteer.

Well, my Friend, even if you have been proudly thinking about yourself doing all this - pedalling to the villages in the heat of 35 degrees and in your own sweat just to teach Englih - this moment you would wish to answer negatively. Just to prove yourself being different. Not one of the crowds.

But you are exactly like the others. Like one of these Jackies. One of the crowds. One in the crowds. The crowd.

Oh no, my Friend, not the one in front of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment