Friday 13 January 2012

Why are you so smart and beautiful?

Sometimes you do not realise how different people can be. Different faces, hair and skin. Different colour. They speak different languages and do not understand each other. They smile different. They use other movements to brush their teeth. Or they do not brush them.

It is amazing how these differences make people act.

I was told, my Friend, that I am White People.
I was told that white people are smart.

When we visited a school in the north of Thailand, the first question these children asked me was:

Why are you so beautiful and smart?

And I, my Friend, could not answer.

Firstly, the colour of my skin does not have any correlation with my beauty or cleverness, I believe. And I hope. Otherwise I was one of the "lucky" to be born where I was born.
Secondly, how do you know? I did not have any T-shirt saying "I am smart and beautiful". I did not solve any math case in front of them. Not physics or chemistry either. Yes, I wear glasses, but just because I can see very bad. Not an advantage at all, when you think about it.

All I could answer to their question was that I am neither smart or beautiful. I could not say more. My cleverness probably left me for a short holiday, only beauty stayed. Beautiful, but stupid - very stereotypical girl, right?

But if you ask me this question again, now I know what to answer.

I am exactly the same as you are. Not worse, not better. I sweat when it is hot and I freeze when it is cold. I have two hands, two legs, hair on my head despite they are wavy.

1 comment:

  1. where we was we call northeast Thailand not north off Thailand. or some word Esan

    ReplyDelete